In 1950, a four month kitten climbed 14,691 feet to the top of the Matterhorn in the Alps
Verismo’s Leonetti Reserve Red (Leo) - a Maine Coon who weighs in at 35 pounds and measures 48 inches from nose to tail (Guinness World Records)
Tinker Toy - As of 1997, the smallest domestic cat ever; a male blue point Himalayan 2.75" tall, 7.5" long
The largest cat breed is the Ragdoll. Males weigh 12 to 20 pounds, with females weighing 10 to 15 pounds.
Least fur breed
The Sphynx cat came into existence in 1966. It is a hairless breed.
A cat named Five Toes, was born with two tongues.
NOTE: There are many more medical anomalies, but I do not intend to use this page to document them.
Most mice killed
As of 1997, Towser held the record for most mice/rats killed: 28,899. Towser worked for the Glenturret Distillery, and a statue was erected in the distillery grounds in her honor.
Blackberry, a female
Andy, companion of Florida Sen. Ken Myer; fell 16 stories (20 feet) and survived
- Brownie and Hellcat became two of the richest cats in the world when owner Dr. William Grier left them $415,000 in the 1960's
- Ben Rea left his cat Blackie £15 million in his will.
- Himmy, a neutered tabby living in Australia who weighed 46 lbs, 15.25 oz; died of heart failure
- Poppa - an 11-year-old tabby who wieghed 44.5 lbs.
- Tiger - a long-haired part-Persian weighing 43 lbs.
NOTE: Guinness World Records is no longer documenting this record, as owners were cruelly overfeeding their pets to gain a new record
Mr Peebles is the world's smallest fully-grown cat, weighing in at just 3 lbs. (Guinness World Records)
Mrs. Poodles, the first Siamese exhibited at an English cat show (in 1871)
Jake, an Ontario, Canada cat with 28 toes, with 7 on each paw (Guinness World Records)
- Mingo, a Maine coon in Turku Finland - with whiskers measuring 6.8 inches in July 2004. (Guinness World Records)
- Ellie, living in Woodland Hills, Californiaa brown/black Maine Coon, had the longest single whisker on a cat (measuring 6.5 inches) on Febraury 15, 2004. (Guinness World Records)
Most expensive wedding
In September 1996, two rare “diamond-eyed” cats, Phet and Ploy, were married in matching pink outfits at a ceremony in Thailand's biggest discotheque. It cost Phet’s owner, Wichan Jaratarcha, 410,979 Thai Bhat ($16,241).
Most kittens in a litter
Tarawood Antigone, a brown Burmese who holds the records for having 19 kittens in one litter on August 7th 1970 . Four were stillborn.
Most kittens in a lifetime
Dusty, who delivered a total of 420 kittens in her life. She gave birth to her last litter on June 12th 1952.
NOTE: This is NOT a record to aspire toward.
Litty, in Staffordshire England, gave birth for the last time at age 30. In her life, she had 218 kittens.
Oldest cat living
The oldest cat living is claimed to be Cream Puff who was born on August 3, 1967 (which made her 38 in 2005 if she was still alive).
- Puss, 36 years old; died on Nov. 29, 1939
- Ma, a tabby who was 35 when she was euthanized Nov. 5, 1957
- Grampa, 34 years old, a Rex Sphinx; died April 1998
Longest travel home
Sugar's family, the Woods, left him behind when they moved; he left his new owners and found the Woods' new house 1,500 miles away
Most traveled cat
Hamlet escaped from his cage on a flight from Toronto, Canada, and traveled 600,000 miles in seven weeks, until he was caught in February 1984.
On Dec. 9, 1999, 80 days after an earthquake struck Taiwan, killing an estimated 2,400 people, a cat was discovered alive in a collapsed building in Taichung. It was taken to veterinary hospital, where it made a full recovery.
Submitted by Jennifer