Strange Laws in Ireland and England
Ireland has some weird laws!:
It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.
In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.
It is illegal to smoke any form of tobacco on Grafton St. in Dublin
Practicing or pretending to practice any form of witchcraft or occult arts (that includes horoscopes, tarot cards, crystal ball reading, palmistry, reading tea leaves, iridology, divination etc). This also includes healing by occult means (that would include Reki, energy balancing, acupuncture or acupressure, yoga and many other new age pseudo scientific methods which have their roots in eastern religions) is punishable by being locked in the stocks of outside of Dublin Castle (roughly around the Temple Bar area) for 6 months and rotten fruit can be pelted at the culprit. (anyone want to rat out fabulous Fergus or the operators on the tarot line who's advert is shown on TV all the time!)
England has some pretty dangerous laws too!
· With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.
· All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
· London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
· It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
· It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person.
· A Chelsea Pensioner may not be impersonated.
· A bed may not be hung out of a window.
· It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
· Mince pies are not to be eaten on Christmas Day.
· Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
· It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.
· Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.
· It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.
· If a steam locomotive is driven on roads, a man must walk in front of the vehicle with a red flag during the day and a red lantern at night to warn passers-by.
· All steam locomotives are limited to 4mph on roads.
· You may not make out in public.
· It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
· Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.
· Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.
· Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.
. Freemen (or women) of the city of London (Those who have had the honour of the freedom of the city bestowed upon them) have the right to heard their cattle over any of London's bridges at any time)
· You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
· You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.
· It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store, or in a bank if handling foreign currency.
· Companies may vote in local elections.
· Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow
You may not fish on Sundays.
It is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.
Trespassing on someone else's land is legal.
You are presumed guilty until proven innocent for some crimes.
If someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.