Strange Laws Around the United States
Strange Laws Around the United States
· It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
· Brewerton: Use of motor boats forbidden on city streets.
· It is forbidden to push a moose out of a plane in motion.
· It is against the law to look at a moose from an airplane.
· Fairbanks: No moose is allowed to have sex on city streets.
· Glendale: It is against the law for a car to back up.
· Mohave County: Anyone caught stealing a soap, must wash himself with it, until it's all used up.
· A man has a legal right to beat his wife, but only once a month.
· It's illegal to mispronounce the name of the state of Arkansas.
· Little Rock: Flirtation between the members of the opposite sex on the streets may result in a 30-day jail term....
· A woman cannot drive a car while she is dressed in a house-coat.
· It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
· It is illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
· Belvedere: "No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash."
· Blythe: A person must own at least two cows before he is permitted to wear cowboy boots in public.
· Hollywood: It is illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard simultaneously.
· L.A.: A man can legally beat his wife with a leather strap, as long as it is less than two inches wide, or she gives him permission to use a wider strap, preferably in advance.
· L.A.: You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
· L.A.: If robbing a bank, shooting at the teller with a water gun is prohibited.
· Oakland: Illegal to rob a birds nest from a public cemetery.
· Ventura County: Cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit.
· Denver: It is illegal to mistreat rats.
· Denver: it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor
· Logan County: Illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep.
· Pueblo: Illegal to raise or permit a dandelion to grow within the city limits.
· Sterling: Unlawful to allow a pet cat to run loose without a taillight.
· You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
· Devon: it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset
· Hartford: Crossing the street walking on your hands is not allowed.
· Hartford: Illegal to educate dogs.
· Lowes Crossroads: It is a violation of the local law for any pilot or passenger to carry an ice cream cone in their pocket while either flying or waiting to board a plane.
District of Colombia
· It is unlawful for small boys to throw stones, at any time, at any place.
· Washington: The only acceptable sexual position is the missionary-style position. Any other sexual position is considered illegal.
· Illegal for single, divorced, or widowed women to parachute on Sunday afternoons.
· Rats are forbidden from leaving the ships docked in Tampa Bay.
· An elephants tied to a parking meter must pay a regular parking fee.
· Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, and some may the salon owner.
· Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
· Hunting and killing a dear while swimming is illegal.
· You're not allowed to break more than three dishes a day, or chip the edge off more than four cups and/or saucers.
· Miami: Illegal to go around imitating animals.
· Saratoga: Illegal to sing while wearing a bathing suit.
· It's unlawful for a barber to advertise his prices.
· It is a misdemeanor for any citizen to attend church worship on Sunday unless he is equipped with a rifle and it is loaded.
· Jonesboro: Forbidden to say "Oh, boy".
. It's against the law for a person to insert pennies in the ear
· Illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
· Coeur d'Alene: If police officers suspect a couple is having sex inside a vehicle they must honk their horn three times, and wait two minutes before being allowed to approach the scene.
· Idaho Falls: Forbidden for anyone over the age of eighty-eight to ride a motorcycle.
· Wallace: Unlawful for anyone to sleep in a dog kennel.
· Women must address bachelors as master instead of mister.
· It is against the law to speak English in Illinois.
· Prohibited to drive a car without a steering wheel.
· Chicago: Eating in a place that is on fire is forbidden.
· Cicero: Humming on public streets on Sundays prohibited.
· Evanston: Unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
· Kenilworth: Roosters must be at least three hundred feet away from any residence if he wishes to crow.
. Hens that wish to cackle must be two hundred feet away from any residence.
· Oblong: It is a crime to make love while fishing or hunting on your wedding day.
· Urbana: No monster may enter the corporate limits.
· Zion: Illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
· Bathing is prohibited during the winter.
· Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.
· Elkhart: It is illegal for a barber to threaten to cut off a youngster's ears.
· No kiss may last more than five minutes.
· Aimes: A husband may not take more than three gulps of beer while lying in bed with his wife, or holding her hands.
· Ottumwa: "It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unacquainted."
· Marshalltown, horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants
· Wichita: A father cannot frighten his daughter's boyfriend with a gun.
· Natoma, it's against the law to practice knife-throwing at men wearing striped suits.
· It's against the law to annoy squirrels in Topeka
· "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club."
· An amendment to the above law: "The provisions of this statute shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses."
· Forbidden to appear on the streets of any town or village in bathing dress without police protection.
· Transport of an ice cream cone in your pocket is prohibited.
· Anyone who has been drinking is sober until s/he "cannot hold onto the ground".
· Everyone must take a bath at least once a year.
· In Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth is considered 'simple assault' while biting someone with your false teeth is 'aggravated assault'.
· Rumford: Illegal to bite the landlord, no matter how much he deserves it.
· It is illegal to mistreat oysters.
· Baltimore: Illegal to wash or scrub sinks, no matter how dirty they get.
· Baltimore: Illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits.
· Baltimore: Illegal to take a lion to the movies.
· Halethrope: Illegal to kiss for more than one second.
· Christmas was outlawed in 1659.
· It is forbidden to put tomatoes in clam chowder.
· It is unlawful to deliver diapers on Sunday, regardless of emergencies.
· All dogs required to have their hind legs tied during the month of April.
· Cooling one's feet by hanging them out the window is forbidden.
· Law declares that peanuts may not be eaten in court.
· Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.
· Snoring is illegal unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
· Goatees are illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
· Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.
· Boston: Illegal to take a bath unless one has been ordered by a physician to do so.
· Brockton: Any person need a license before they are permitted to enter a sewer.
· Fitchburg: Barbers are not allowed to carry combs in back of their ears.
· Holyoke: It is unlawful to water your lawn when it is raining.
· Salem: Even married couples are forbidden from sleeping nude in rented rooms.
· Southbridge: Illegal to read books or newspapers after 8 p.m. in the streets.
· A woman's hair legally belongs to her husband, consequently she's not allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.
· If any man kisses his wife on Sunday, the party at fault shall be punished at the discretion of the court.
· Detroit: Couples are not allowed to make love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
· Rochester: Anyone bathing in public must have his or her bathing suit inspected by a police officer.
· Alexandria: Illegal for a husband to make love to his wife if his breath smells like garlic, onions, or sardines. The wife can by law force her husband to brush her teeth.
· Blue Earth: Law declares that no child under the age of twelve may talk over the telephone unless accompanies by a parent.
· Kansas City: Minors are not allowed to purchase cap pistols; they can, however, buy shotguns freely.
· Merryville: Women are prohibited from wearing corsets because "The privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male."
· St. Louis: Illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.
· Bozeman: You can't perform any sexual acts in the front yard of any home, after sundown, and if you are nude (socks is OK).
· Helena: A woman cannot dance on a saloon table unless her clothing weights more than three pounds, two ounces.
· A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.
· A motorist approaching a horse at night must send up warning red rockets and Roman candles, throw a scenic tarpaulin over his car to conceal it from the horse, and take his machine apart and hide the parts in the grass it the tarpaulin doesn't soothe the horse.
· Hastings: Hotel owners are required by law to provide a clean, white cotton nightshirt to each guest. According to the law, no couple may have sex unless they are wearing the nightshirts.
· Omaha: It is against the law for a barber to shave a man's chest.
· It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.
· Sex without a condom is considered illegal.
· Eureka: Men who wear mustaches are forbidden from kissing women.
· It is against the law to tap your feet, nod your head or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant or cafe.
· Cresskill: Cats must wear three bells to warn birds of their whereabouts.
· Liberty Corner: Any couple making out inside a vehicle, and accidentally sounding the horn during their lustful act, may be taken to jail.
· Trenton: Unlawful to throw any tainted pickles in the streets (good pickles, however).
· Carlsbad: During lunch breaks no couple should engage in a sexual act while parked in their vehicle, unless their car has curtains.
· Carrizozo: It is forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).
· Albany: Disallowed to play golf in the streets.
· Carmel: A man cannot go outside wearing mismatching jacket and pants.
· Greene: Illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalk during a concert.
· NYC: Illegal for a man to turn around and look "at a woman in that way", and violators are forced to wear horse blinders.
· Rochester: Firemen must wear ties while on duty.
· It's against the law in New York City to open or close an umbrella in the presence of a horse.
· It is illegal to take a dear swimming in water above its knees.
· Asheville: You can't sneeze on the streets.
· Barber: Cats and dogs are not allowed to fight.
· Thomasville: No airplanes are allowed to fly over the town on Sundays during the hours between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
· Winston-Salem: It is against the law for children under seven years of age to go to college.
· Beer and pretzels cannot be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
· Illegal to go to bed wearing boots or shoes.
· Berea: Any animal that is out after dark must have a tail light.
· Cleveland: Women are not allowed to wear patent-leather shoes.
· Cleveland: Operating a motor vehicle while sitting in another person's lap is forbidden.
· Oxford: Illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.
· Paulding: A police person may bite a dog to quiet him.
· Portsmouth: The law ranks baseball players with "vagrants, thieves and other suspicious characters."
· Youngstown: Running out of gas is illegal.
· If you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.
· Criminals can be fined, arrested or jailed for making faces at a dog.
· Whale hunting is strictly forbidden throughout the entire state.
· Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
· Dogs need a mayor-signed permit to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
· Clinton: Masturbating while watching two people having sex in a car is forbidden.
· Tulsa: Kisses lasting more than three minutes are forbidden.
· Tulsa: Against the law to open a soda bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer.
· A dead person cannot be required to serve on a jury.
· Use of canned corn in fishing is illegal.
· Hood River: You can't juggle without a license.
· Willowdale: No man may curse while having sex with his wife.
· "Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue."
· Housewives may not hide dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling.
· No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
· Danville: All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires.
· Harrisburg: Illegal to have sex with a truck driver inside a toll booth.
· York: You can't sit down while watering your lawn with a hose.
· Newport: Illegal to smoke a pipe after sunset.
· Province: Illegal to sell toothpaste and toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday.
· Fountain Inn: Horses were once required to wear pants at all times.
· Sioux Falls: Hotels are required by law to furnish their rooms with twin beds only. There should be a minimum of two feet between the beds, and it is illegal for a couple to make love on the floor between the beds.
· It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.
· It is illegal to drive a car while sleeping.
· You can't shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.
· Dyersburg: Illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.
· Memphis: Illegal for a woman to drive by herself; "a man must walk or run in front of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists if the vehicle is going over 5 mph".
· Oneida: Forbidden to sing the song "It Ain't Goin' To Rain No Mo'".
· Criminals are required to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
· Illegal to raise alligators in your home.
· When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
· You need a five-dollar permit to go barefoot.
· Kingsville: Two pigs cannot have sex on the city's airport property.
· Lefors: Illegal to take more than three swallows of beer at any time while standing.
· San Antonio: Illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.
· Birds have the right of way on all highways.
· A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.
· Utah state legislation outlaws all sex with anyone but your spouse.
· Adultery, oral and anal sex, masturbation are considered sodomy and can lead to imprisonment.
· Sex with an animal - unless performed for profit - however is NOT considered sodomy.
· Polygamy - provided only the missionary position has been applied - is only a misdemeanor.
· Tremonton: No woman is allowed to have sex with a man while riding in an ambulance. In addition to normal charges, the woman's name will be published in the local newspaper. The man does not receive any punishment.
· Trout Creek: Pharmacists may not sell gun powder as a headache cure.
. Preaching or sharing (discussing) the Christian Gospel in Temple Sq Salt Lake City is illegal
· It is obligatory for everyone to take at least one bath each week, on Saturday night.
· Rutland: Cars are forbidden from backfiring.
· The statute of The Virginia Code: "To prohibit corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than candidates."
· Norfolk: No woman may go in public without wearing a corset.
· Norton : It's against the law to tickle a girl.
· All lollipops are forbidden.
· Having sex with a virgin is illegal under any circumstances (including the wedding night).
· "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."
· Seattle: Goldfish can ride the city buses in bowls only if they kept still.
· Seattle: You may not carry a concealed weapon that is longer than six feet.
· Wilbur: Illegal to ride upon the streets on an ugly horse.
· Children may not attend school if their breath's smelling "wild onions".
· Peewee: It is illegal to let your horse fall asleep in the airport.
· Connersville: No man shall shoot of a gun while his female partner is having a sexual orgasm.
· Racine: Illegal to wake a fireman when he is asleep.
· Newcastle: Couples are banned from having sex while standing inside a store's walk-in meat freezer.